Hygge is pronounced hoo-guh, and is a Norwegian word that means a general mood of coziness. What a perfect day to set the environment for a hygge evening of snuggling and coziness.
So much pressure on a relationship. Where to go? What to do? How much to spend? Should I even spend knowing we just had Christmas gifts to buy?
I know we are not yet acclimated to it being 2020, and less than a week to Valentine’s Day.
Slow down. Take a deep breath. Be mindful of what you are trying to accomplish. That is part of the whole experience of hygge. While winter is the most hygge time of the year, I am not opposed to lighting a fire for the ambiance and turning down the air conditioning to have the perfect atmosphere.
The best gifts are created with love and thoughtfulness and are the ones that do not cost anything.
When was the last time you put in the extra effort to set a romantic and cozy evening?
There are a few easy tips to help set the stage for your hygge evening:
- Make sure the bed is made with clean sheets.
- Place candles all around the room, making sure they are safely placed on bases to not cause a fire hazard.
- Cooking your partner’s favorite meal or picking up your favorite takeout can start the evening with the right attitude. Valentine’s Day is one of the busiest days of the year for restaurants. Planning an entire evening at home provides the setting for close communication and a higher level of intimacy. Planned and executed correctly, you will need to add more than one room to prepping for the hygge evening!
- A simple handwritten note explaining all the things you love and appreciate about your partner can be so meaningful. Show your partner how much you respect them by putting forth a little extra effort.
- A lot of men believe that Valentine’s Day is strictly a commercial holiday blown out of proportion. You need to realize that your partner may not feel the same way that you do about the holiday. Remember to be appreciative and positive about anything your partner does to celebrate this holiday.
Just remember, doing nothing to show your love and appreciation can also create a problem within your relationship, causing your partner to back away from you. Should that happen, so goes your level of intimacy and communication.
Besides surviving winter, this lifestyle promotes comfort and contentment.
What a wonderful way to spend a romantic and hygge evening. Warm, cozy, and snuggled up with your favorite person in the world!